Just say "no" to fountain drinks

I've come to the decision that I'm not going to order any more fountain drinks at restaurants. It's just not worth it. Because when I order a Coke, on the scale of "tastes like Coke" and "tastes like water", fountain drinks usually come out on the water side. And not only that, but you wind up paying a premium for the stuff. We had lunch today and my watered-down Coke was $1.89. Fountain drinks are one of the most profitable items for restaurants-- they could stand to either lower the price or increase the dosage on the flavor.

I'll just have to suffer a glass of water or two I guess.

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Just say "no" to fountain drinks:

» Soda. Pop. Soda-pop. from No Prerequisite
When it comes to soda, and Diet Coke in particular, I'm a bit of a connoisseur. I know good Diet Coke. I think Coca-Cola should hire somebody (preferably me) to go to restaurants making sure they're using the correct ratio of syrup to water. [Read More]

» Soda. Pop. Soda-pop. from No Prerequisite

Jason said:

Sorry if I double-pinged, it timed-out the first time.

sam said:

Water is life, man. Drink and enjoy.

Norm said:

if they would only get it right -- Coke, from a glass bottle particularly -- can be pretty tasty.

McClane said:

Actually, fountain drinks, especially the Self-Serve kind isn't so bad. What's funny is that too many people get fooled when asked by the gal or guy behind the counter, "what size?"

"Small, dummy!"

I'm just going to get a refill, if I need more. :)

nick said:

if you just stay there for a few hours and pound some free refills then you'll get your money's worth. and tell them easy on the ice or no ice at all.

Refills? You're missing the point. No ice? You must be insane (or European).

Jesper said:

No ice? You must be insane (or European).
There's a mighty fine difference.

Joel DeYoung said:

Water is always a better choice than brown sugar water dude.

No Ice All the way. It just taste better that way and from the Foutain it is already cold. But I prefer Room Tempetaure. Most people say you like it hot? but's it's not Hot it's Room Tempeture. And if I can't get it with No Ice I bring my own dtink.

Mac said:

i used to work the concession stand at a multiplex cinema which will remain unnamed. honestly, floor staff have no control about the ratio of syrup to water. if your drink tastes like water, it means the syrup canister is running out, so let them know and ask for a replacement. and give them a minute or two to replace the syrup - those canisters are really heavy and a bitch to change. also, ice is a notorious breeding ground for germs, no matter how clean the conditions, and it makes zero difference to the drink physically (its a total myth that skipping ice gets you more drink in the cup).

Nope I am from Arkansas and No Ice is the best way. But by doctor's orders I can't drink Soda no more so no more Dr Pepper. But i'm not gonna drink water either. I've been drinking Cherry Kool-Aid, Apple Juice and some Milk. :-)

This article was published on February 15, 2003 4:10 PM.

The article previously posted was Please be kind to the webserver.

The next article is Google buys Pyra.