Disney Vault

This whole "Disney Vault" thing frustrates me. Take Snow White for instance... at the end of this month, Disney is taking it out of retail for the next ten years.

I understand that they do this in order to build public demand, but from what I've read, the last few re-releases they've done have been less than spectacular. So do they really think that a re-release in 2012 will make up for 10 years of lost sales?

By then, we'll probably just download it from the ether.

On the one hand, I'd like a copy of Snow White-- it's a classic and it would be nice to have it in my library. On the other hand, I hate being pressured into something. Besides, when they eventually do re-release it, I'm sure it will have a few new features compared to what's being offered today. So, I'm a little frustrated.

Teri said:

I agree with you but my reasons are different from yours. I have an 18 month old little girl and want the collection for her. By the time they are all released, she will be too old for them, so I'm stuck buying imported videos to make sure she gets to see them.... basically, I have to spend the money twice to get the collection. I don't think that's right.

Nicole said:

I'm not very impressed with the Disney "vault" either. If they aren't going to have the movies in stores, they should at least allow people to order them directly from the Disney store.

Jennifer said:

I know what you guys mean. I have started a collection for my 3 year old daughter. I got quite a few but not the one she wants. I borrowed The Little Mermaid from a friend and she loves it. It is in the vault until 2010. The only place I can find it is on E-Bay and they are all over $30.00. I love my daughter but a movie for $30.00. It is too much.

Jennifer said:

Jacquelyn Kurtz said:

I just wanted to say that I knew about the Disney vault for many years. My father was a big Disney follower and had told me about this Vault. I think it is ridiculous because it is all in the name of money. It used to be just the older films now it is all of them. They release them and soon after they "Jack Up" The price and say get them now there going back in the Vault for 10 Years! I am a collector of the older movies Pollyanna Parent Trap etc.... And they also have the Wonderful World of Disney. Some of the Sunday Night Movies ar released for Home Video and others are no where to be found or even read about! Disney.Com Itself does not even provide information on the vault or made for tv movies. Disney used to be fun but now its all about the money. Does anyone know where I can read about the movies that are in the vault? If so please Email me at JCVIDEOZ@aol.com Thank You! -Jackie

Jacquelyn Kurtz said:

Jacquelyn Kurtz said:

Jacquelyn Kurtz said:

Minh Do said:

I say we break into there damn vault and take anything we can find!!!!

Kerry said:

I am laughing my head off. I agree, lets break into the damn thing and take EVERYTHING. I also am starting a collection for my 2year old daughter and I am frustrated that we can't get the older movies. I did break down and order Snow White on DVD from the internet because I don't want to wait for 10 freaking years. However, I cannot afford to pay $100. for Bambi, Cinderella, Jungle Book etc. It makes me really angry.
Kerry

Kerry said:

Kerry

Kerry said:

Kerry

Giggy said:

I just started collecting these movies for my two year old daughter as well as myself... and also find it frustrating that I can't have some of my favorites for another ten more years. Being that I just bearly started collecting this year I missed out on some great movies that were released a few years ago... and now I have to wait ten years!!?? By that time my daughter wont care. :( I have also gone to their website in hopes of finding out information on release dates and when certain movies are going back, etc. I can't find anything. So one day they have it, the next it's gone and I had no warning what so ever. I would also like to know, is there any website that has info on the vault, release dates or when movies are due back to the vault? So I can get my movies before they're gone!! :(

crimsom said:

disney is not for cheap followers ,quality has its price.

Jeff Graham said:

Hello Fellow Disney Collectors,
I have several Disney movies, both sealed and unsealed. Cinderella, Lion King, Sleeping Beauty, Little Mermaid, Jungle Book and many others. Send me an email with your wantlist and I'll be more than happy to give you a price including shipping. Thank you and Happy Collecting!!
Jeff

Billco said:

Disney is nothing but a brainwashing, money-making communist society. I'm not saying they don't hire some of the best talent in the world, but the entire mindset of Disney is a hand-me-down of the late Walt himself, who nurtured some rather unhealthy values of his own. Their business strategy revolves around control, not the product.

Carolina said:

If anyone knows of a website where I can find out about the vault please e-mail me. Thanks! I agree that it is ridiculous that they put movies in the vault for ten years. We should be able to purchase those movies for our children to enjoy... isn't that what the movies are made for?

Jill said:

I would like to have that E-Mail address also. At least I may have a chance to get all the Disney movies before they are all in the vault.

I could'nt agree with you all more. i have a two year old boy and i am starting a movie collection for him. It is difficult and frustrating to see a movie that i want then find out it is in the vault. I especially hate to find out that they are releasing a movie such as the jungle book 2 but you cant get the first one because it is in the vault. What was Disney thinking it is the stupidest thing i have ever heard of. If you wanted to have a collection of movies for your children well maybe you have to start before they are even born. I was never bothered about the whole vault thing until my son was born but now it really irritates me. Once the movies are in the vault and you want them you are stuck trying to find them or paying a huge price to get them. It really sucks. I also emailed someone on the disney website to find out all of the movies in the vault and she emailed me back saying that she did'nt know. Come on disney get your act together.

Cheryl Corrington said:

I couldn't agree more on this whole vault thing. I'm spending an arm and a leg trying to start a collection for my 7 week old daughter. Maybe I should have told my mom when I was conceived to start collecting for my future children then I wouldn't be forced to pay an arm and a leg for them on ebay so she doesn't miss out. If anyone knows where I can get a list of the vaulted movies please let me know. It's good to know other people are just as frustrated as me!

Megan said:

I agree with everything u guys said I mean they aren't just hurting us but also hurting the unborn babies. It doesn't help them make money it makes them lose money and makes people really angry at them. If anyone knows where to get a list of the vaulted movies let me know thanks.

Travis Wright said:

OK, before I say anything, what the hell is the Disney vault, is it an actual vault? Is it just a name for something when they take a video off the shelves and destroy them? DISNEY...STOP BEING DO DAMN POETIC AND GET REAL! I agree with all of you to an extent, I am 17 years old now, and have about 50 Disney videos. However, a few years ago this was not the case, when I was younger there were certain Disney vidoes I wanted so bad I couldn't stand it, and they finally came out when I was almost over it. All of you out there looking for these films, ebay is a good place, I also highly recommend used book stores that also sell movies, they usually have a special place for Disney, and you can get them for about $10. So don't worry about it, if you want em bad enough, you can probably still get em, although some of those films are pricy to acquire. LOTS OF LUCK!

Redeana Beach said:

Hi I am looking for Jeff Graham can you give me our e-mail address I would be interested in talking to you about buying some of your DVD's. I did at one time find a web page that told when movies where going into the vault but I can not find it now. but if you go to raredisney.com they have DVD's like the Little Mermaid and Jungle Book and Cinderalla for $20.00 that have never been opened.

Leesa said:

hey i also want the address to where i can get releas dates im 22yrs and don't have kids but i plan on having some in the next five years and i started collecting a little after i got married i knew how hard they where and i realy enjoyed them as a kid and i want my kid to grow up with disney

Steve said:

I don't know if you guys are looking for old disney videos or dvd's...if you are looking for videos look in pawn shops..used record shops..flea markets you can find them all..for the most part. In the past 2 weeks I found 15 'vaulted' movies for my son for about 80 dollars. hope this helps

Lisa said:

Hey all! I couldn't agree more! Disney should be more about the kids and less about greed. The good news is many of the vaulted movies are coming out on DVD at the end of this year and in 2004 & 2005: The Little Mermaid, Lion King, Sleeping Beauty, Alladin, etc. Go to ultimatedisney.com for release details. I just bought Cinderella, Pocahontas, Alladin and The Little Mermaid videos for $3 each at a garage sale. A lady next to me swiped Lion King practically out of my hand. Good Luck!

Davina said:

I think that the disney vault is a genious marketing idea. It does encourage you to buy the movies right away and spend a lot of money on the "special editions" versions and the dvds. I am 19 years old and I have been collecting disney movies since I was a baby. My first two movies were given to me on my first christmas. I am still 3 movies away from the the whole collection and this is because of the vault. I even started buying them all on dvd (as if they haven't taken enough money from me already). But it takes 19 years to get the whole collection so anyone who wants the movies for their kids to enjoy when they are children, man it will be tough. I spent a lot of mony for mine. The most I spent to get one was $200. And the vault time wait can be anywhere from 7- 10 years.

VALERIE said:

I SO AGREE WITH ALL OF YOU. I HAVE TWO LITTLE BOYS AND AM TRYING TO COLLECT FOR THEM BUT I AM PROBABLY GOING TO END UP COLLECTING FOR THEIR KIDS. YOU CAN FIND SOME AT PAWN SHOPS AND ALSO WE USED TO HAVE A USED VIDEO/MUSIC STORE AROUND HERE THAT CLOSED. BUT THEY HAD SOME STUFF PERIODICALLY. I RECOMMEND THAT IF YOU GO ON VACATION NEAR A BIG CITY ASK AROUND TO SEE IF THEY HAVE ONE OF THESE STORES. I KNOW THE ONE FROM HERE HAD A COUPLE OF STORES IN OTHER BIG CITIES. GOOD LUCK AND MOST OF ALL KEEP YOUR EYE OUT. BLOCKBUSTER AND MOVIE GALLERIES PUT OUT USED ONES AS WELL. SO CHECK YOUR LOCAL MOVIE STORE BEFORE YOU RUN OUT AND BUY THAT BRAND NEW ONE. WE JUST GOT LILO AND STITCH, CINDERELLA II, MONSTERS INC AND MORE FOR JUST $5 AT BLOCKBUSTER.

DJ said:

We had a horrible moving experiance last month. I started collecting movies years ago when my 11 year old was just born. The movers took it upon themselves to help themselves to our movies, stole about 200 vhs and dvd. I am now filling out a form to send to them and they want to know worth now. I had movies like Dumbo, Lady and the Tramp I & II, Lion King I & II. Are any of these on that vaulted list? Where can I get a list of vualted movies so I can look it up. THanks a bunch.

Christy said:

I agree to a certain degree with most of what everyone is saying. My son has been collecting since he was baby and he now 12years old and some have been damaged or lost. And it sucks trying to replace them when they are locked away in the vault. But I was able to find Snow White, Bambi, Beauty and the Beast and Cinderella today. I paid $3.99 for Snow White, $5.99 for Bambi, $5.25 for Beauty and the Beast and $4.75 for Cinderella. What A great deal! I almost cried! It is rare to get them like that. But you can! So for all 4 movies and shipping and handling I paid a total of $24.98. So it can be done. Don't give up!! Look it up on Ebay!!

Young said:

I suggest you look in your local library. Some libraries have movies for you to borrow. You won't get to keep them, but at least you'll be able to let your children view them in the here and now. And don't forget to return them on time, so that other children will get to enjoy them, too. Also, when my first child was born, Snow White was in the vault, but I was able to find another animated version of the movie. It was just as cute. Who says Disney has a monopoly on the classics? There are other animation companies out there now. Who knows, maybe one of you will be able to find a love of animation and get into it yourself for the kids.

Jess said:

i dont have kids yet im am only 18 ...but i am already collecting all the disney dvds already ...all i need is the Little Mermaid! not just for when i have kids but i loved that movie when i was little and i really want it.... now i am waiting for finding nemo to come out on nov 4th ...gotta but it quick before its gone

This article was published on January 10, 2002 10:54 PM.

The article previously posted was blogdex social network explorer.

The next article is The truth is out there-- waaay out there.