IBM PCjr nostalgia

This almost makes me tear up-- the old IBM PC Jr. -- my first computer. I got one back in 1984 I think... cut my teeth on DOS 2.1, a thing called "Cartridge BASIC", dBASE II, IBM Writing Assistant, IBM Filing Assistant, Crosstalk, Sidekick.... oh the memories. It hardly compares to today's computers, but it was a great place to start.

DARDO said:

I have some problems with the ibm filing assistant , i see you know this program , how can i use a old ibm database with access or another modern database ????
Thanks

Richard Burdett said:

Hi,

I was wondering if I could get some help...I have been using IBM Filing Assistant seemingly for ever, but that is just testament to how useful it has been.

During various PC upgrades, I have moved the programe and had to play with a file called FILE.SYS..in order toget it to work again..

I have recently purchased a new machine With XP installed but have been unable to resurrect filing assistant...

Please can you give me some ideas how I might do this, or...alternatively, how I can usefully extract the data into another uptodate package..and if so, which one?

Any help would be very much appreciated..

regards

Richard Burdett, UK

Tom Deriz said:

Hi

I've the same problem over here in Switzerland.
Actually I still have filing assistant, writing assistant and planing assistant version 2 but lost the following 3 files:
WRITE.SYS, PLAN.SYS and FILE.SYS (if I remeber well to be copied in the root directory and set to Hidden/System/Read-Only/Archive).

Any help would be very much appreciated..

Best regards
Tom Deriz, Switzerland

Alex DC said:

Hi,

I have a friend who's using it but he's got this problem. When he adds records the program reports an error. The message is that he needs to rebuild his file? How do we do that? Can I get a manual somewhere?

We would appreciate it very much if someone could help us.

Alex DC, Belgium

Brian Heise said:

I have a PCjr Support site (One of about 3 real ones out there). at http://www.micro-zone.com My site is focused more on a PCjr modification based level with a forum where users can ask about the jr hardware and software as well as buy/trade items from the jr. Join up as a member and show the jr is REBORN!

Gabriele said:

Sorry for my bad english.
I have IBM writing assistant installed in a 386 33 Mhz. For three years I tried to copy it into a PC more young: pentium W95, pentium iii W98 and finally pentium iv WXP, but writing assistant is very strong to copy. The original disks of the program are ko. I try to connect the hard (old IBM) disk with the running version of WA to the new computer and copy the DOS directory (because if that hard disk fall down I fall down: I still use IBM WA in the 386).
When I run the file MENU or WA in a DOS mask under windows, appares a mask that indicates the IBM WA program, but when I click the program serch for a disk and doesn't work. I'm not sure that you can understand me, but can you help?
bye gabry, Italy

Gudni Gislason said:

file.sys etc is just a 0 byte file, you can make you own file by: edit file.sys and save it on the root directory. It worked in the old days.

Brian Heise said:

- Would you beleive, last night another jr collector and I, both using broadband connections, and pcjr's of course, were able to chat with each other through the net. Pretty cool actually.

M. Evans said:

Hi,

I was wondering if I could get some help…a friend uses IBM Filing Assistant for her mailing list.
She has recently purchased a new machine With XP installed but have been unable to resurrect filing assistant…

Please can you give me some ideas how I might do this, or…alternatively, how I can usefully extract the data into another uptodate package..and if so, which one?

Any help would be very much appreciated..

Pete Trimble, DDS said:

I came to this site from a Google search for PCjr.
I noticed old posts looking for IBM asstistant series software. The entire series is available as a download on www.vetusware.com under office listings as Assistant Series 2.0.
Hope this can help somebody. I've been using Filing Assistant for 23 years, now under WinXP!

This article was published on April 27, 2001 3:52 PM.

The article previously posted was Sidescrollers live!.

The next article is RIP, Daily Radar.